Loudoun County Limbo

Loudoun County Limbo
How Low Can You Go?

Monday, May 5, 2014

My Shopping, Selling, and Saving Seesaw

I didn't get a lot posted on the blog over the weekend because we had our annual neighborhood yard sale. My daughter, Bridgette, and I spent hours dragging stuff up from the basement store room on Friday night and setting it by the door, so that we could lay it all out in the yard on Saturday morning.



I've held this sale every spring for the past few years and always made good money selling my health and beauty items for $1.00 each. This year we just didn't get much traffic and we only made $75.00. Then we had to lug everything back in again. 

I've had better luck lately selling things on my Facebook Virtual Yard Sale page. Here are some recent winners:

This lot of 6 shampoos sold for $10.00. 
These 2 bags of cat food sold very quickly for $5.00
And this lot of 7 feminine hygiene items sold for another $10.00.

I was so exhausted from the yard sale (I was up at 6:00 to put everything out after being up several times during the night with our sick dog), that I forgot to go to Rite Aid and roll my UP Rewards. 


Since my $5.00 UP Reward from this deal expired, I looked for a way to start fresh today and found this deal:

Contour Next Diabetes Meter - $9.99
- $10.00 coupon that you can print HERE
Get a $5.00 UP Rewards (Limit 1)
Result =  money maker! 

Alas, I accidentally bought the Contour Next EZ meter which was on Rite Buy for $9.99, so it was free, but I didn't get any UP Rewards.
Not this
Get this
Note: There is no tax on medical equipment, so you will need to add something small to your transaction to use the $10.00 coupon, unless your cashier knows how to adjust it down.

Finally, I went to Giant to do the gas points deal explained so eloquently HERE by the Pink Countess. I've had problems in the past using the 300 bonus gas points coupon to buy just a gift card, so I always look for something to add to my transaction. This time, it was the Lysol Max toilet bowl cleaner for this TMF offer. It cost $2.60.

I now have 1511 gas points on my account, which I guess means that the registers at my store have been updated, since I only got 3X the amount I spent on the gas card, but not the 300 bonus points.

3 comments:

  1. You are my inspiration. I had a garage sale last Saturday and made $60. Usually I would donate to people. But have come to realize people only want free.. But I will still donate to the shelter. Could you tell me about the facebook Yard Sale .Also I went to the recycle bin and found a bunch of coupons. Love You and Thank You

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Angel! I started a Virtual Yard Sale page for my town on Facebook a year ago and it now has over 3000 members. There are numerous virtual yard sales on Facebook, including some just for baby and kids items and some just for swapping free item. Go to Facebook and search on your town and see what comes up. These are more local than Craig's List. You can email me if you want more details at lclimbo-blospot@yahoo.com.

      Delete
  2. Theresa

    I didn't know that you had a yard sale page. I am thinking about starting one, but I have an annual yard sale Memorial day and Labor day and do so well selling my stockpiles, I don't know if I want to do that to my regulars. I have 18 people I email to let them know when my sale is. I may take pictures this year and put it on my facebook page. LMK if your interested. Can you email me when you get a chance. I have a few questions.. whenever you have the chance. Love your blog too, and you are such an inspiration. Some days I don't feel like thinking "couponing or ebay" and I just look at your blog and it makes me want to continue. Thanks for sharing. I got another FREE 30 gallons at Giant a week and a half ago, so the total for about 4 weeks, was $220 in FREE gas at Giant. I just can't believe I didn't pay attention much to that until YOU started posting things and the last 6 weeks I have taken it seriously and that is why I check your blog. Take care Theresa and have a great week!!

    Lisa in PA

    ReplyDelete