Loudoun County Limbo

Loudoun County Limbo
How Low Can You Go?

Friday, May 3, 2013

My Stockpile Supper - Tofu Parmigiana

 
Here is a new-to-me recipe that I decided to try with the Nasoya Tofu that I got FREE at Harris Teeter Triple Coupons last week. I doubled the recipe, so the photos reflect everything listed below twice: 
 
Tofu Parmigiana (Serves 4)
 
Ingredients:
1/2 cup seasoned Breadcrumbs (Free at Harris Teeter because I used Walgreens RR to buy it)
5 Tbls grated Parmesan cheese (free at previous HT Super Doubles)
2 teaspoons dried Oregano (free from Rite Aid with UP rewards)
salt to taste
ground Black Pepper to taste (free from Rite Aid with UP rewards)
1 (12 oz) package firm Tofu (free from Harris Teeter Triples)
2 Tbls Olive Oil (free from Rite Aid with UP rewards)
1 oz can Tomato Sauce (11 cents at Food Lion)
1/2 teaspoon dried Basil (apparently from Bloom)
1 clove Garlic, minced (free from Rite Aid with UP Rewards - seems to have missed the photo op!)
4 ounces shredded Mozzarella cheese (Also free at Harris Teeter with Walgreens RR)
 

1. Preheat over to 400 degrees. Combine bread crumbs, 2 Tbls Parmesan cheese, 1 tsp Oregano, salt and black pepper in a small bowl.


2. Slice tofu into 1/4 inch thick slices and place in a bowl of cold water.


3. Heat oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. One at a time, press tofu slices into crumb mixture turning on all sides to coat. Cook tofu slices until crisp on one side. Drizzle more olive oil, turn,and brown on the other side


4. Combine tomato sauce, basil, garlic, and remaining oregano. Place a thin layer of sauce in a baking pan.


5. Add tofu slices and spoon remaining sauce over top. Top with shredded Mozzarella cheese and remaining 3 Tbls of Parmesan cheese. Bake for 20 minutes.


This meal got mixed reviews from my family - some of us liked it more than others. If I make it again, I will just use spaghetti sauce in a jar!

2 comments:

  1. Super fun post! I've never made or tried this but if I end up getting this for free at some point I'll use this recipe. Keep these coming!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Theresa, I am a vegetarian but do not like Tofu...you actually make this look good! Thanks for sharing ;)

    ReplyDelete