Loudoun County Limbo

Loudoun County Limbo
How Low Can You Go?

Wednesday, January 2, 2013

My Food Lion Store Brand Super Sale Field Report!

Food Lion logo

I stopped in to Food Lion today to take advantage of their Store Brand Super Sale.  I scanned my MVP card at the Savings Center kiosk and received a coupon for 75 cents off My Essentials rice, so I grabbed a small bag of brown rice for 82 cents. I was unable to find the single bottles of ME water, so instead I selected 3 jars of ME tomato paste. My total came to $1.49.



However, when the cashier rang me up, I did NOT receive a $1.00 catalina for buying 4 store brand items. I know the cat machine was working, because the customer in front of me received one. So, I went to customer service, where I got no help. I was told that they could not force the cat to print and they didn't have any extras to give me. I could have asked them to return and rebuy to see if it would print, but sometimes a dollar isn't worth the hassle. I strongly suspect that my use of a store coupon somehow messed up the deal.
Food Lion Super Sale
 
So, I went back and picked out 4 cans of ME tomato pasta, paid $1.44 and got my $1.00 catalina.

I never used anything but store bought pasta sauce until I ran out one day and was too cheap to buy more. I had no idea it was so easy to make your own homemade pasta sauce. This recipe serves six:

  • 2 teaspoons olive oil
  • 2 cups chopped onion
  • garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 cup dry red wine or 4 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
  • 2 tablespoon sugar
  • 4 tablespoon chopped fresh or 1 teaspoon dried basil
  • 4 tablespoons tomato paste
  • 1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
  • 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
  • (14.5-ounce) cans diced tomatoes, undrained
  • 4 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley

  • Heat oil in a saucepan or large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic; sauté 5 minutes. Stir in wine and next 6 ingredients (wine through tomatoes), and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium, and cook, uncovered, about 15 minutes. Stir in parsley.

    2 comments:

    1. Will you be able to roll the cat since you had a problem with the q? I am not a Food Lion shopper but I will make the trip if you can roll the cats. Thanks for the sauce recipe too!

      ReplyDelete
    2. Absolutely - Food Lion has this sale every year and the cats always roll! Actually, I'm not so sure that the q is what caused the problem now. Perhaps certain My Essentials items are not programmed into the system.....

      ReplyDelete