Loudoun County Limbo

Loudoun County Limbo
How Low Can You Go?

Tuesday, November 18, 2014

My Ebay Cash to Trash Sales for October



I didn't have a lot of trash-to-cash sales in October compared to the preceding months. I've been focused more on purchasing inexpensive items at yard sales and thrift stores to resell. Here are the the things that I sold last month that didn't cost me a thing:



This postal scale that I purchased with UP Rewards at Rite Aid over a year ago sold for $9.99 with free First Class shipping, that cost me $2.09.



This lot of 11 hardcover Great Illustrated Classics sold for $21.99 with free Media Mail shipping, which cost $6.72. I originally paid $1.00 each for these books at the Dollar Tree over 10 years ago, so my kids had all outgrown them.  



This lot of 6 boxes of Anacin that were a money maker at Rite Aid back in April. Some of the boxes were expired, but I noted that in my listing and sold this lot for $15.00 with free shipping, which cost me $2.09 with First Class postage.



This Farsi-English dictionary that was a dumpster find sold to someone in Australia for $9.99 with free First Class shipping that cost me $1.93.



This soft guitar case was another dumpster find that I sold for $9.99. The buyer paid $5.75 for Economy shipping.




This book called Glacier Day Hikes was an impulse purchase by my husband on our vacation to Montana two years ago. I sold it for $12.95 with free Media Mail shipping, which cost $2.09. 


This empty box for an American Bitty Baby doll that I found a the recycling center went for $12.99 plus the buyer paid $5.75 for Economy shipping! 





I sold this Touch of Gray men's haircolor that was a money maker at Harris Teeter in September for $10.99 with free First Class shipping that cost me $2.09.




This empty bottle that once held Ralph Lauren Safari spray perfume sold for $9.99 and the buyer paid $5.75 for Economy shipping. It was another dumpster diving find.




I listed this Samsung Galaxy Captivate smart phone for parts as not working at $19.99 plus $4.12 for First Class shipping. My daughter had used it for a year and then the port got messed up. plus it had some scratches on it from being dropped. I received a "Best Offer" of $10.00 and took it, since the phone was no good to me anyway.




This lot of 3 back issues holiday baking magazines that I found at the recycling center sold for $12.00 with free Economy shipping, which cost me $2.01.






My favorite sale for last month was two glass windows from the Camaro that my husband is restoring. 







The buyer didn't want the glass, just the hardware, and messaged me asking if I would put the windows inside a big garbage bag to break the glass and just ship the rest to him. 


I did as he asked, but it made a huge mess in my house that took days to clean up. Next time I'll be smarter and do this outside! Anyway, he paid $60.00 plus $9.55 for Priority shipping.

My total sales for October came to $185.89.  I spent a total of $24.64 on Ebay and Paypal fees and another $19.02 on shipping fees, so my net profit was $142.23!

However, the bulk of my sales came from other sources last month as I continued to grow my Ebay store, and my total profits from Ebay sales were over $700! 

17 comments:

  1. I just love these posts! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love reading these posts you share with us! I have so much to sell, I wish I knew how to do Ebay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JoAnn, just list one or two items and start slow and learn as you go. Everyone makes mistakes when they first start out. A great alternative is selling your items on Facebook Yard Sale sites for your area. You have a smaller audience but no fees or shipping costs!

      Delete
    2. Thanks Theresa I will try that first!

      Delete
  3. Congrats on growing your ebay store!!! I love these posts

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for sharing! I have a question for you. When you offer free shipping do you set the price of the item or have a minimum so you're possibly not out money if it sells at a really low price?
    Love these posts, thank you.
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only offer free shipping for Medial Mail items (which is much cheaper than Parcel Post) or for First Class items (which weigh 13 oz or less). Supposedly, having Free Shipping gets you a higher ranking in the search results with Ebay, so I use it for things where I know the shipping won't be more than a few dollars. For everything else, I use Calculated Shipping, so it may cost more or less depending how far away the buyer is located. Often, after the buyer pays for Parcel Post, I can ship Priority for a little less. The buyer gets it faster and I make a little on the shipping too. Once someone makes a purchase, I use the drop down shipping menu to compare rates and choose the best option.

      Delete
    2. I just started trying to sell books and other things on eBay too because of the media mail. I put up a few and got no hits but I am out nothing for trying. I did calculated postage first and then upped the price for the book and did free postage. I was trying to figure things out at the post office and it is hard to find anything that isn't the flat rate boxes or priority. The mailing part is the most expensive. I am going to try a few more things like the hair color and gain dryer sheets. Do you ship them all in boxes or do you use envelopes? It is hard to get a box to be under the 13 oz for first class so I was just wondering :)

      Delete
  5. Alison, what do you mean by "it is hard to find anything that isn't the flat rate boxes or priority"? I ship most of my items in boxes that I find at the recycling center for free. I ship some things in padded envelopes, if I have them or in tear proof poly mailers that I order on-line. It depends on the size and shape. Items that go First Class (under 13 oz) are nearly always shipped that way, unless it is a very small box! Shipping is the most difficult part of selling on Ebay, you just have to learn as you go. You can also order free Priority shipping supplies from USPS.com.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always LOVE reading your blog Theresa, Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh one question, what kind of postal scale do you use? I have one that only weighs up to 5 lbs. And I am not sure if it even weighs correctly I actually add an extra ounce on to my weight, to be sure. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa, I bought a second hand digital scale off Ebay last year for about $20.00. It is a Saga Mercury Pro 66 and weighs up to 66 lbs.

      Delete
    2. Thanks Theresa.. appreciate your response.

      Delete
    3. Thank you just found one on ebay for $17.99 and free shipping! Appreciate it.

      Delete
  8. For allison, I used to ebay a lot and just used the big yellow envelopes for books. I would be creative with using recycling on hand, like cereal boxes, to line the envelopes. I never got any complaints. Wow, Theresa, I never find the good stuff like you do in those bins! Of course, I am cursed with visiting the bins right after they have been emptied :(

    ReplyDelete
  9. Theresa - Did you sell the Touch of Gray by Auction or set price? I love seeing your sales.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a BIN (Buy It Now) sale - I rarely do auctions.

      Delete