Loudoun County Limbo

Loudoun County Limbo
How Low Can You Go?

Sunday, August 12, 2012

Dumpster Diving Pays Off!

I previously wrote about how I frequently visit my local recycling center in search of free coupon inserts HERE. This week I was happy to trade some of the my "trash" for cash! 

This time of year many schools run contests for the classes that bring in the most Box Tops for Education or BTFE. Parents who want to help their children win the contests are willing to pay for BTFE.  I "traded" 400 BTFE for 7 cents apiece making $28.00


Likewise the schools run contests for Campbell's Labels for Education or CLFE. I had a large number of CLFE in my collection - some worth 1 point, some worth 5 points, and a few worth 10 points, as well as some with no point value. I "traded" the lot for $17.50.


I also traded my Purina Weight circles for a book of stamps worth $9.00.  If you personally care for 5 or more dogs, 5 or more cats, or breed one litter per year, you're eligible to join the Pro Club Inner Circle.


As a Pro Club member, you can submit weight circles from bags of participating Purina® brand Dog Foods and earn Purina Points. Purina Points can be redeemed for a variety of rewards, including:
  • Dog food checks good toward future purchases of Purina® brand Dog Foods.
  • Purina logo apparel and merchandise.
  • Checks for veterinary services.
  • Gift certificates for retail, restaurants and travel.

Although it took some time to collect these items, I ran across them anyway while searching for coupon inserts. In the end my total came to a tidy profit of $54.50!

7 comments:

  1. I so wish we had recycling centers here. No such thing. Curbside pickup twice a month and they are taken someplace over an hour away! I am jealous!! Great job at making some extra money.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Every time I go, I wonder if I'll run into you! I was there the other night and pulled out 23 copies of a magazine that I'll sell on Ebay for about $13 or $14 and a copy of a $5 coupon for a local store I would have shopped at anyway, plus 2 my coke rewards codes. All in all, a great trip! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Where do you trade your boxtops ?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rachel - there are traders who buy these on all of the big coupon forums: A Full Cup, Hot Coupon World, We Use Coupons, and Slickdeals, as well as Ebay.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I live up in the lucketts area, do you mind me asking where to go recycling diving at. I would love to find extra kellogs rewards and coupons to help with stretch the budget. Our neighborhood puts out recycling cans, but I can't bring myself to browse my neighbors' discards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can find a list of recycling centers in Loudoun County at their website: http://www.loudoun.gov/index.aspx?NID=404
      There is one at Lucketts Elementary School.

      Delete