Loudoun County Limbo

Loudoun County Limbo
How Low Can You Go?

Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Whats for Dinner? - Sweet Italian Sausages with Onions and Peppers

Last week I got a package of Sweet Italian Sausages at Giant with their in-ad clip coupon. I had also purchased a bag of onions and some green peppers at Food Lion with my produce FLIP.

Sausage Dinner
 I decided to use them for this recipe:

Ingredients

  • 1 package Italian sausage links
  • 2 Tbsp olive oil
  • 3 bell peppers, sliced into 2 to 3 inch long strips
  • 4 garlic cloves, sliced into slivers (I used minced from a jar)
  • 2 large sweet or yellow onions, sliced into 1/4-inch half-moons
  • 1 15 ounce can of diced tomatoes
  • 1 Tbsp of dried oregano
  • 1/2 cup Marsala or red wine (optional)
  • Salt to taste

First I heated the olive oil over medium heat in a large skillet. When the oil was hot I added the sausages to brown slowly, then cooked for several minutes, turning occasionally to brown on all sides.

Next I removed the sausages from the pan and increased the heat to high, adding the onions and peppers. I stirred them to make sure they were coated with the oil, sprinkled in some salt, and cooked until softened.

After that I added the garlic and cooked for one more minute, then poured in the red wine, scraping the bottom of the pan to release all the browned bits. I cooked about 5 more minutes until the liquid was reduced by half.

Finally, I added in the tomatoes and oregano and stired to combine, then returned the sausages to the pan. I reduced the heat to low and simmered with the lid on for about 20 minutes.



You can serve over pasta or on hoagie rolls. I had gotten several boxes of Zatarains rice at Giant for free last week, so that is what I prepared to go with it. This was super-yummy!



 

3 comments:

  1. Looks really good! I'd love to serve that to my family but Josh would never go for onions and peppers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummmm! Looks and sounds very tasty :) BTW, how did your coupon class go at the Library? Did you have a good turnout?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Only 5 people showed up (out of the 10 that RSVP'ed) but they were all very interested and asked me to come and speak again. I was thinking of doing a post on some of the things I didn't have a chance to cover.

    ReplyDelete