Loudoun County Limbo

Loudoun County Limbo
How Low Can You Go?

Friday, February 1, 2013

What's for Dinner? - Crockpot Chicken Drumsticks

Yesterday I went to Food Lion with my $2.00 off $10.00 meat purchase FLIP and my Super Saver coupon for $5.25. I scanned my MVP card at the Saving Center kiosk and got my usual coupon to save 75 cents on a bag of My Essentials rice. I grabbed a bag of brown rice for 82 cents and then found these chicken drumsticks on sale.
Chicken drumsticks

I froze one and left the other in the refrigerator for dinner tonight.

Note that the regular price is higher than the MVP price. The two packages of chicken combined only cost $7.31 (the other package came to $3.88).



The pre-MVP price for both packages, however, was $10.26 (the other package was $5.45) so I met the threshold to use my FLIP coupon. My total bill after coupons came to 13 cents!

I had never cooked chicken drumsticks before and I wanted to make them in the crockpot, so I found this recipe:

Slow Cooker Sticky Chicken Drumsticks

Mix together in a small bowl:
2 tsp. salt
1 Tbsp. paprika
2 tsp. chili powder
1 tsp. onion powder
1 tsp. thyme leaves
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. black pepper

Rinse 4 lbs of drumsticks (skinned if desired) and pat dry with paper towel. Rub the spice mixture into the chicken.


Layer onions and/or potatoes in the bottom of your crockpot to make a bed for the chicken to lay on. Or, just used crumpled up aluminum foil.


Cook on  LOW for 8-12 hours until very tender.



This was good, but not my all time favorite. Next time I will try it with Chinese Five Spice instead, which has a sweeter flavor and involves less mixing!

2 comments:

  1. I like these posts--please keep them coming!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Dinner tonight is Papa John's Pizza with the 50% discount code I got for voting on the Superbowl Coin Toss. LOL!!

    ReplyDelete