Loudoun County Limbo

Loudoun County Limbo
How Low Can You Go?

Saturday, March 1, 2014

My Stockpile Supper - Shirataki Noodle Casserole


I had those Shirataki noodles in my fridge for a while that were 19 cents at Harris Teeter and was trying to figure out how to use them. I wanted to make some sort of Asian dish, but I didn't have all the oriental oils and spices necessary for any of the recipes I found. I finally decided to use them in a tuna noodle casserole. 



I had the Starkist tuna from last week's Super Doubles event at Harris Teeter in my pantry, but I didn't have any cream of mushroom soup. I found a jar Prego three cheese Alfredo sauce and a can a mushrooms, and decided to use them instead. I also found a can of peas from the last Food Lion Store Brand sale to add in. 



You have to rinse the noodles really well after you open and drain them, so that they don't smell and taste like the solution they are packed it. 


I layered the noodles into my casserole dish, then poured in the Alfredo sauce, then add the mushrooms and peas. 






Afterwards I stirred it all together and it looked a bit soupy, so I decided to add another can of tuna and to sprinkle some french fried onions on top.  



Then I popped it into the oven at 375 degrees for 1/2 hour. It came out good, but perhaps a little bland. Next time I would add some salt and pepper and a lot more french fried onions on top! 


I almost threw out the Prego jar without cutting the Campbell's Label for Education off, because it didn't look like the usual ones.



The Prego was 50 cents at Harris Teeter (same week as the Nasoya Shirataki noodles) and the French Fried onions were free at Harris Teeter during a previous Super Double event. This entire dish cost me about $2.00 to make and serves four people!

Did you know that the Tuna Noodle Casserole was invented by the Campbell's Soup company as a way to get people to buy more Cream of Mushroom soup?


1 comment:

  1. If you have more noodles and want to make an asian dish, the sesame oil is cheap at Trader Joes. I get it there and use it for really flavorful fried rice and it is around $4. I don't have some of the other things that you need to use so I made the sesame seed paste and added other flavors that I did have. Sounds like a great use of things around the house. I have never gotten those noodles but I love the wonton wrappers and egg roll wrappers by that company which are often free or cheap with coupons :) If you haven't tried them and the coupon works on them next time, they are great!!!

    ReplyDelete