Loudoun County Limbo

Loudoun County Limbo
How Low Can You Go?

Tuesday, April 30, 2013

My Exciting Trip to J.C. Penney!

Yesterday I got a coupon in the mail that said: 
 
Save $10.00 off your purchase of $25.00 or more
 to use at your J.C. Penney store or at jcp.com
 between April 29 and May 12, 2013.
 

I set it aside thinking that I might trade it for something, but this morning a post on Refund Cents caught my eye. A poster in Idaho named Helen said that she had found Twin XL sheets on clearance at J.C. Penney for $9.00, and that these would make nice graduation gifts, since most dorms require that size.
 
I had never heard of Twin XL sheets, but since my son, Jake, is headed to college in the fall I decided to "google" it. Sure enough, the Office of Housing and Residence Life at George Mason University has compiled a list of recommended supplies for new students moving into the residence halls, and one of the items is:  Extra-long twin sheet sets!
 
Jake had an appointment in Herndon this morning, and since were going to be passing right by Dulles Town Center, I decided to swing into J.C. Penney and check the sheets out. We found the housewares department under construction - they are remodeling - but finally located the clearance sheets. There they were - Twin XL 200 thread count plain and striped sheets - but they were marked $17.00.  A sign on the clearance rack said "take an extra 25% off".  Jake and I picked out 2 sets of sheets, calculated that our total would come to $25.50, and carried the sheets to the register.
 
 
 
Imagine my surprise when the sheets rang up only $6.75 each! Since our subtotal was $13.50 we could not use the $10.00 coupon, but Jake quickly spotted a rack of sunglasses across the way. Reminding me that his last pair had broken, he grabbed a pair that cost $13.00 to add to our bill. Our total came to $26.50 plus tax. After the coupon we paid $17.38. 
 
I was so pleased with myself to have gotten 80 percent off an expense that would have been $70.00 (or more) if I had waited until the last minute to shop!  And Jake is really pleased with his new sunglasses!!
 
 
 


2 comments:

  1. Way to go, Theresa. Go girl! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this--it's great when you stumble across an awesome deal for something you needed already! I thought of you this weekend while yard saling. Remember how you told me I buy clothes pretty often? Well, I got 33 MORE pieces of new Ann Taylor clothes at one sale! And she only charged me $50 for them! That's a steal--I had to take them home and put them in my closet!

    ReplyDelete