Loudoun County Limbo

Loudoun County Limbo
How Low Can You Go?

Monday, November 11, 2013

How I Earned Christmas Cash with Coupons!

I've been dabbling with selling things on eBay for about a year now, and it took me a while to get the hang of it. A few times I actually lost money because I sold things for too little, and by the time I paid my eBay, PayPal, and shipping fees, I ended up in the hole.

Last month I decided to make a concerted effort to find and list more items to save up for Christmas. Here are the results so far:

If you have been following this blog since last spring, you may recall that Hautman Brothers Wildlife Series Christmas Ornament that I found one day while dumpster diving.  It was still new in the original package and I sold it for $9.99!



Remember that deal I posted for the money maker Paypal Mobile Credit Card Readers in October?  I did that deal, made a $6.00 profit after submitting for the rebate, then listed and sold them for $17.00!


I did that Gas-X money maker deal twice at Rite Aid - once in October and once in November - and sold the lot of 18 for $45.00.


I sold a lot of 2 Bausch & Lomb Soothe Hydration Drops that were a money maker at Rite Aid back in July for $13.00.


I had 18 Poise Towlettes and Panty Fresheners that I got at Rite Aid as fillers. I think they cost me 19 cents each after my Gold Discount and a $3.00 insert coupon, but of course I "bought" them with UP Rewards - not cash. I boxed them up and sold them for $18.00.

There were 4 boxes of Clairol Nice N Easy Hair Color sitting in my basement since last April, when they were a money maker at Rite Aid. They sold for $24.75!

 
I had a lot of 5 Oral B Toothbrush Replacement Heads from money maker deals at Rite Aid that I sold for $16.00.


 
I found these 15 back issues of Cooks Illustrated magazine in the dumpster a few months ago, and sold them tonight for $19.50.


And my favorite deal of all was this lot of 14 Highlights Activity Books that I found in the dumpster last week - brand new, some with the plastic still on - that I sold for $36.50!
 
The above sales total $200, but I had to pay for shipping, eBay fees, and PayPal fees on all these items, so I calculate my profits at around $150.
 
It just goes to show you that people will buy anything, and that one man's trash is another man's treasure!
 


5 comments:

  1. That is very very exciting!!! Congrats!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sold the Biblical Archaeology magazines I found in the dumpster! I love this post, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pure Inspiration!!! You continue to amaze me ways to save/earn $ !!! Normally, donate finds i cannot use -- but hung onto a few i.e. gucci sneakers/size 10 or red coach handbag, old lp's -- may be worth setting up ebay acct. after all. dologram ((*.*))

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really need to start ebaying. I have so much stuff around the house that needs to go out and this is the perfect season. Back before kids, my husband and I used to do it with computer parts because he repairs computers and we have memory and cords coming out of the wood work but stopped as soon as I got pregnant!! I am going to see if we can get going again and pull in some money to pay for Christmas. Great just and I can't believe how much you found!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, great post!! I always forget that I can sell free items I get while couponing. I've passed up tons of free hair color at CVS and other items throughout the last year because I thought, I have no where to store it. Thanks for the reminder! You made a great amount of cash. Good for you! :)

    ReplyDelete