Loudoun County Limbo

Loudoun County Limbo
How Low Can You Go?

Thursday, May 16, 2013

My Stockpile Supper - Beef Stew

Last night I made beef stew with the meat that I bought at Giant and it was fabulous (if I do say so myself). The recipe said it served 12, so I halved it to feed 6, which usually works for the 5 of us. However, this really only made 4 servings. Good thing my 17 year old son had a last minute homework date and couldn't partake, or there would not have been enough. Anyway, here is the scoop:

Ingredients:
2 lbs beef for stew
1 1/2 onions (The recipe called for yellow onions, but I used the Vidalia onions I got last week.)
2 carrots
2 potatoes
2-3 stalks celery
3 cups beef broth (I added water to the beef stock I got cheaply at Harris Teeter recently.)
Flour
Salt and Pepper
Italian Seasoning
Bay Leaf
Garlic (not shown)
Oil (not shown)
Add 2 TBLS oil to a large pan with a tight fitting lid on med-high heat until it begins to smoke, then add the meat and brown well. Add 1 tsp each of salt and pepper while browning.
Remove the meat with a slotted spoon and set aside. Add  the onions and cook for 5 minutes until tender. Reduce heat to medium low and add 2 tsp. flour. Continue stirring for 2 minutes, then add 2 cloves minced garlic and stir and cook for 1 more minute.    
 
 
Pour in  1/3 cup red wine and deglaze the pan, scraping brown bits stuck to the bottom. Simmer for 5 minutes stirring continually, then add the broth, 2 tsp. Italian seasoning and the bay leaf. Bring back to a simmer, then cover and cook for 1 hour.













Meanwhile, peel the carrots and potatoes, and chop all the vegetables into 1 inch chunks. Add in the vegetables, cover, and simmer for another 1/2 hour until tender. Taste and adjust seasonings.



 
Turn off heat and let sit 15 minutes before serving. Garnish with parsley if desired.   
 
 If you don't have Italian seasoning, you can use 1 tsp Rosemary and 1 tsp Thyme. It was really nice being able to prepare this 1 1/2 hours before meal time and just leave it on the stove to do other things. In the past I have made beef stew in the crockpot, but I don't think I will ever do that again. The photo doesn't do this meal justice - it may be the best thing I have ever made!
 

2 comments: