Loudoun County Limbo

Loudoun County Limbo
How Low Can You Go?

Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Whats for Dinner #2 - Breakfast Casserole

 

I am not a morning person and I never wake up hungry and interested in cooking, so it is usually cold cereal for breakfast in our house (for which I rarely pay more than 50 cents per box).  However, once a week we have "breakfast for dinner" instead: pancakes, french toast or eggs. This week I needed a recipe incorporating some ingredients that I found cheaply:

Bob Evans Sausage at Giant - Reader Diana informed me that she had spotted markdown sticker coupons for $3.00 off on these. I printed out a 75 cent coupon and ran to the store. After the coupon doubled, my final cost was 25 cents!

Davidson Eggs at Harris Teeter - These were recently on sale Buy One Get One Free, making the price $1.89 each. I had 75 cent coupons that doubled, so I paid 34 cents per dozen!

Natures Own Double Fiber Bread - I found this at the Dollar Tree for $1.00 (of course), but after a few days it started to smell yeasty, so I wanted to use the rest up.

Cracker Barrel Cheese - This was on sale before Christmas and I bought it with coupons, then sent off for a NBPR rebate with my receipt. I think the final cost was about 50 cents. 

The Recipe:

Ingredients:

  • 4 slices bread
  • 12 to 16 ounces bacon or sausage, cooked and drained
  • 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
  • 8 eggs, beaten
  • 2 cups milk
  • 1 teaspoon dry mustard

Brown the sausage in a skillet and drain.










Grease the bottom of a 9"x13" pan. Tear up 4 slices of bread and place in the bottom of the pan.











Sprinkle cooked crumbled sausage over bread pieces. You could also use bacon.





Sprinkle cheddar cheese over the bacon or sausage. I had to shred mine first! 










Mix eggs, milk and mustard together.









Pour over casserole. Bake at 350° for 40 minutes. Serves 4 to 6.
This dinner cost our family $2.00 or about 40 cents per person!

 

1 comment:

  1. This is one of our favorite recipes!! We put it together Saturday night and I pop it into the oven before church on Sunday. We come home to a wonderful brunch. We often have breakfast for dinner during the week, pancakes or waffles, and bacon or sausage, and fruit. Some of my kids can cook the whole meal from start to finish, freeing me up for other things (like couponing :) or laundry :( Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete