Loudoun County Limbo

Loudoun County Limbo
How Low Can You Go?

Friday, October 25, 2013

Halloween on the Cheap!


Are you ready for Halloween?  When my kids were little I used to take them shopping the week after Halloween and let them pick out their costumes for the following year - one size up, of course!

Now that they are older, they don't Trick-or-Treat, but they still have plenty of occasions to dress up.  My daughter Bridgette wanted to be a witch for her school's spooky orchestra concert this week. A witch costume at Rite Aid was $24.99. Even with my 20% Gold Wellness discount, I thought it was too steep for an article of clothing that was only going to be worn once.

Instead, we found a vampire costume in our trunk of former Halloween outfits, cut off the big red collar, and paired it with thrift shop boots that can be worn for other occasions. A hat for 50 cents that we found at a yard sale completed the look.



My daughter, Charlotte, put together several get-ups for Spirit Week at her high school this week.

On Monday it was "Wacky Tacky "day:



On Tuesday, it was dress from the 1980's. We cut the sleeves off an old sweater to make "leg warmers". Here is her "Olivia Newton-John" look:



Wednesday, it was "Celebrity Day" and she decided to go as Jase from Duck Dynasty (minus the beard):




Thursday was "Twin" day, so she and a friend wore identical outfits. And today was "Pajama Day", so she didn't even have to get dressed!

3 comments:

  1. Great ideas!! Always great to search through what you already have and there is certainly a way to make do. I actually looked at getting a witches hat for myself after halloween last year but I talked myself into not needing it. I haven't been lost without out it but I might talk myself into it this year :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are such fun pictures! Thanks to your girls for letting you post them. So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the thrifty ideas Theresa. I was too cheap to buy a bow tie for my son's Psy costume so I hit Dollar Tree for a 2pk of gray and black headbands. I just sewed the middle and added a black ribbon in the center. So easy and only cost $.50 :)

    ReplyDelete