Loudoun County Limbo

Loudoun County Limbo
How Low Can You Go?

Wednesday, October 16, 2013

My Profitable Giant Shopping Trip!

 
 
I broke one of my main couponing rules today- which is to never pay for coupons - in order to take advantage of the fantastic Giant bonus gas points deal on Jones sausage. 
 
In the past I have had bad experiences with ordering coupons - they arrived in the mail after the sale was over or the store was out of stock by the time I had the coupons to use. I would get a raincheck, but by the time the stock came in, my coupons would be expired. Once I realized that I could find multiple free coupons at the recycling center, I lost all interest in buying coupons.
 
This time, however, I took a chance and ordered 21 of the regional coupons for 75 cents off Jones sausage that we did not get in the Washington Post. I paid 7 cents each plus 96 cents postage to Rebecca's Coupons and Forms, which unlike other clipping services, has no minimum order or administrative fees.
 
I was worried the coupons might not arrive in time due to the Monday postal holiday, but they showed up yesterday, so I took them to Giant today, and got the sausages:
 
 
They were on sale 3/$5.00, so the total for 21 was $35.00. My coupons doubled, and took off $31.50, making the total $3.50 plus tax. I paid $2.43 for the coupons, so my actual cost was $6.00 or 28 cents each!
 
But wait, there's more!
I earned 1200 bonus gas points for this transaction, which equates to a fuel savings (for me) of $24.00.
So, the bottom line after all expenses comes to 21 free boxes of sausage and $18.00 worth of free gas!!
 
Also on this trip, I spotted a giant bag of dog food that was clearanced because the bottom had ripped open and been taped up. Last month I paid $9.99 for this same size and brand of dog food when it was on sale. That bag had one scoop left in it.

 
This bag was marked down to $8.64.
 
 
 
I ended up spending $13.14 out of pocket today. It would have been a perfect trip if I had remembered to use the $2.00 Catalina coupon that I got for buying Campbell's Slow Kettle soup earlier this week, when I earned another 400 bonus gas points!
 
 


2 comments:

  1. Woo Hoo!!! We haven't eaten the few sausage that I bought before so I know that we wouldn't go through all that but I know that you are going to find a million creative uses for sausage soon :)

    ReplyDelete